Ipswich Lighthouse The light house stood at Crane Beach for 100 years. The last keeper was LeRoy Lane, who lived at the station with his wife, Angie (Harris) Lane and their three children. The front range light was discontinued for good in 1932. By 1938, the sand was so high around the tower that maintenance personnel had to enter through a window high up on the tower. In 1939, the cast-iron lighthouse was floated by barge to Edgartown in Martha’s Vineyard to replace an earlier structure that had been badly damaged in the hurricane of 1938.
- Ipswich Lighthouse: Voices from the Beach is a 1/2 scale wood and painted canvas replica that serves as the backdrop for a presentation about the lighthouse.
- View more photos at the Ipswich Visitor Center Facebook page
- Read a history of the Ipswich lighthouse.
Within these Walls 16 Elm Street, Ipswich For 200 years this Georgian-style, 4200 sf 2 ½ – story timber-framed house stood at 16 Elm Street in Ipswich. In 1963 The house was dismantled, trucked to Washington and reassembled in the National Museum of American History and became the centerpiece of an exhibition on two hundred years of American home-building technology. Today, the house is the centerpiece of “Within These Walls” at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History.
- View this house at the Smithsonian American History Museum
- View a flash presentation of Within These Walls
- View J.T. Turner’s Within These Walls (30 minute recording of living history play)